Calling all skaters, scooter riders and wheelchair sports men and women
Festival 2018 is giving up to seven Gold Coast locals the chance to collaborate with New Zealand artists from Movement of the Human in their production Hurihuri.
You can join lead artist and integrated dance performer Rodney Bell and artist Malia Johnson to help bring their new world premiere work to life.
This opportunity is open to competent movers on wheels (wheelchair sports, roller derby, scooters and skateboards) to do a short movement sequence of approximately 3 to 5 minutes to a pumping soundtrack. No performance experience is required!
To participate you must be able to commit to one or two rehearsals and two event day performances for four days of Festival 2018 from 12 April to 15 April. Note, there is some flexibility in the rehearsal time if required.
Each participant will be paid a small fee, plus have this once in lifetime experience to take away.
• Proposed rehearsals: Tuesday 10 April, 1pm – 3pm and Wednesday 11 April, 3pm – 5pm.
• Performances at Broadbeach:
- Thursday 12 April, 7.30pm and 9:30pm
- Friday 13 April, 8pm and 9:30pm
- Saturday 14 April, 11:00am and 1:00pm
- Sunday 15 April, 2:30pm and 4:30pm
• Travel support: Participants will become accredited members of the cast and will have access to the Festival shuttle system to assist with getting them to site.
To apply, please email the Festival 2018 Producer Melinda Collie-Holmes. Applications close on Monday, 26 March 2018.
You can be part of Festival 2018
Take part in a race along the beach in this fun and quirky event called Water Cooler Games, produced by renowned Australian artist Andrew Baines.
Water Cooler Games is a free performance that will take place right on the sand at Broadbeach from 11am on Sunday 8 April as part of Festival 2018, the arts and cultural program for the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
All levels of experience are welcome, whether you prefer to run, jog or even do a fast walk! There will be 3 x 25 metre laps and a final lap which will be a knee-deep wade into the ocean. Following the race, participants will pose for a group photograph, which will be turned into a perfect painting by the artist.
Everyone will be a winner of this race and on completion will receive a medal, followed by an invitation to a free BBQ to celebrate your performance.
• Date: Sunday 8 April 2018
• Registration: 10am at Broadbeach Surf Life Saving Club, 27 Broadbeach Bvd, Gold Coast
• Venue: Broadbeach Beach, off Broadbeach Bvd, between Armrick Ave and Chelsea Ave
• Event start: 11am
• Event finish: Approx 11.45am
• Transport: Transport will not be provided. Parking restrictions may apply.
On the day, you’ll need to bring a black suit or skirt, with a shirt and tie and bring along an old briefcase or mobile phone if you have them. Briefcases, mobile phones and towels will be supplied on the day as well as access to change rooms.
Put your dancing shoes on and come join in a dance!
You are invited to join a new large scale public dance project, Yes We Dance, that will premiere at Festival 2018, part of the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games (GC2018).
Produced by Bleach* Festival, up to 100 locals are needed to help create the newest dance sensations, which say to the world, "we are, the everyday people of the Gold Coast and Yes, We Dance!"
Gold Coast locals of all ages, backgrounds and dancing interests are welcome to sign up to the project.
• Come along to two public workshops.
• Attend a rehearsal on Saturday 7 or Sunday 8 April.
• Dance Dance Dance on one night or four as part of the show!
Workshop times and locations:
• Saturday 17 March – 10am -11.30am, Tugun Process Hall, 433 Golden Four Drive, Tugun
• Sunday 18 March 1pm – 2.30pm, Southport Community Centre, 6 Lawson Street, Southport
• Saturday 24 March 5pm – 6pm, HOTA, 135 Bundall Road, Surfers Paradise
• Sunday 25 March 1pm – 2.30pm, Burleigh RSL Hall, 8, 6th Avenue, Burleigh Heads
• 6pm, Thursday 12 April – Sunday 15 April. Festival 2018 Roundabout Stage, Victoria Avenue and Surf Parade, Broadbeach
No formal dance experience is required and the workshops are suitable for all ages and physicality.
Once you learn some signature style moves created by everyday dance heroes, then you can join everyone again for a massive dance party at the Roundabout Stage at Surf Parade in Broadbeach for the Festival.
Speak your truth to power at Festival 2018
Truth to Power Café: say what you’ve always wanted to say, and be who you’ve always wanted to be…
Truth to Power Café is your chance to express your true self, and respond to this question before a live audience: Who has power over you and what do you want to say to them?
Whether it’s to your boss, your mother, father, sports trainer, lover, landlord, politician, carer or simply your best friend, it’s time to tell them the truth before it’s too late.
We welcome brave and courageous participants of all ages, experiences, beliefs and backgrounds in this cathartic, thrilling international performance event.
Registrations for volunteering with Festival 2018 on the Gold Coast has closed.